Monday 7 October 2013

Organic is best ... We all know that right?

I am sure most people now realise that it is best to buy organic, although there are some people that still aren't convinced. To those people I suggest you go out and taste test different produce, whether or not you are worried about ingesting chemicals, the organic produce always tastes better! If you can get to an organic farmers market on the weekend I suggest you do because the produce is really reasonably priced and as I said - tastes better and lasts so much longer than the produce you buy at a supermarket. The organic food in a supermarket does not compare to the produce at a market so if that is what you are comparing it to then I can understand why you don't bother buying it. At the supermarket the fruit/ veg still gets frozen and transported long distances so when it is on the shelf ready to buy it is already half gone bad and usually powdery and doesn't last long. When I buy fruit and veg from the farmers markets it lasts in my fridge for up to 3 weeks sometimes.

If you can't buy organic for whatever reason, the next best thing is to make sure you wash your produce really well to get as many of the pesticides off as possible. This wont make the items taste any better, last any longer or have as many nutrients but it will help to reduce the amount of toxins going into your body. I wash my non organic produce in a solution of water and apple cider vinegar. I let it soak in my sink for at least 5 minutes.

Try not to buy foods from the "dirty dozen list" at all if you can't buy organic as these contain the most chemicals. The foods on the "clean 15 list" are ok not to always buy organic.

 

If convenience is an issue and that is why you can't get to a market, it might be worth ringing around because my local farmers market delivers to me every Saturday! There are also lots of companies now delivering organic produce.

Let me know what farmers market you like to use?

Bee xx


No comments:

Post a Comment