Tuesday 4 June 2013

RECIPE | My Favourite Green Smoothie

There is so much talk about green smoothies these days, and for good reason.. They are so good! They are a great way to boost your energy levels first thing in the morning (after a warm lemon water of course), they are jam packed full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals such as iron, magnesium, vitamins C, E, K folate and so on and so forth.. These smoothies are just fab! When I started drinking them years ago my husband turned his nose up at 'the gross green sludge' (his words) that I was drinking.. now he loves them so much he asks me to make extra for him!


I used to have quite a heavy breakfast such as toast or cereal, now while I still have these things occasionally I prefer to drink the green smoothie because of how energetic I feel afterwards!

There are many recipes, and you really don't need to follow one exactly but as long as you are packing in the greens and mixing up some fruit you should be good to go! 

I have made many different types with all different kinds of greens and fruit such as kale, spinach, swiss chard, cucumber, apple, pear, mango, banana, celery, strawberries, raspberries, any berries! You get the idea.. but my absolute favourite is listed below! If you are new to green smoothies this might be good one for you to try because the flavour of the coconut water really disguises the 'green' taste!

Bee's Glorious Green Smoothie


1 cup of coconut water (preferably from fresh young coconut, or bottled is fine if you can't find it)
1 cup kale (leaves only, no stalks - makes it bitter)
1 cup baby spinach
1 apple 
1 banana
1 cup strawberries
1 stalk celery
juice of half a lemon





Mix coconut water with greens first until very smooth, I turn my blender slowly up to full speed, then slowly add the cut up pieces of hard fruit until they are all smooth, then last add the banana, strawberries and juice of half a lemon. Blend all until very smooth, I keep it on for a minute or so to make sure. The more blended it is - the easier the nutrients can enter your system! I make a batch big enough to last a few days so I am not having to do it every day.


Enjoy!



And don't forget if you are using a fresh coconut to scoop out the delicious soft fleshy goodness inside! Some reasons for eating a young coconut are for the antioxidants, the good fats that we need to eat, magnesium, potassium, manganese just to name a few! Oh.. and it is delicious!
 






No comments:

Post a Comment