Wednesday 19 March 2014

My Favourite Ingredients to Flavour Kombucha

I've been Kombucha obsessed for quite a while now and have experimented with different flavours to get the most out of my favourite probiotic, gut healing drink!



It has helped to heal some stomach problems that I had and I am constantly recommending it to everyone to at least give it a try! 

For those new to Kombucha, you can flavour your drink after it has finished the first round of fermenting. This is usually after around 10 days. After that, you can bottle it up into airtight bottles (which is called the second ferment stage) and add in whatever flavours you like to really make your Kombucha pop! (Quite literally, my bottles have popped all over my kitchen!) 

You leave your bottles to ferment for another few days or up to two weeks, depending on how deep a flavour you are after. Generally the longer you leave it, the tarter it becomes. Also, the fizzier it becomes!

My absolute favourite flavours, quantities and timings are listed below, although you may need to play around with your timings to get it how you like it.

Second ferment -
Ginger - a few thinly sliced pieces of ginger per bottle. Leave it for only 3-4 days. Produces huge amounts of fizz! Very tasty and the ginger comes through nicely.
Raspberry & Vanilla - 6-8 frozen organic raspberries. Leave it for up to 2 weeks. 1/2 tablespoon organic vanilla paste. Not as much fizz or flavour as ginger but much more mellow and delicious all the same.
Mango & Coconut - 1/4 mango diced into each bottle with 1/4 cup coconut water. Leave for approx 7 days. Very fizzy! Had a little Kombucha explosion over my kitchen when I opened one of these bottles. Super delicious!






No comments:

Post a Comment