Thursday 6 June 2013

Keeping my manic on the down low



By nature, deep down I am a manic person. I used to suffer from major anxiety and would have panic attacks at the drop of a hat. I was 16 when I was first diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and was given Xanax by my doctor to help me relax. I always hated taking the medication and the only time I took it was at night to help me sleep because if I didn't I would have an attack so bad that I felt like I was having a heart attack and could barely breathe (other sufferers of panic attacks will easily relate to this feeling).

For my own health, I have had to learn how to keep my calm on and the manic on the down low. I came to the decision that I didn't want this disorder to over run my life like it had been. On some days I was too scared to leave home in case I began hyperventilating.

One day I decided to tell myself that nothing was wrong with me and decided that it would not be an issue for me anymore. I decided I would surround myself with happiness, most importantly the people around me. I began taking note of when I felt an attack coming on and was able to breathe through it and it would go away.

I have now reached a point now in my life where I am happy and content and more or less calm. Although like all people, there are times when I find myself in a situation that is stressful – usually when I haven’t thought things through properly - I become a completely different person compared to my usually now relatively calm self. I become flustered, start yelling, pacing and freaking out. It happened this morning because my darling hubby booked my car in for a pink slip. That shouldn't be stressful I know, but because I hadn’t thought about how I was going to get to work once I dropped my car at the mechanic I became a crazy person. It also happens sometimes when I am cooking. I love cooking, but on some occasions I really don’t feel like it so at these times I should stick to cheese on toast because when I attempt anything more impressive than that I almost end up having a divorce. I fluff around the kitchen, dropping things, my head is spinning, and more often than not I burn myself on anything and everything. Most of the time the food ends up in the garbage and we eat cheese on toast anyway. There are many other times when things go bad, such as after an argument with a loved one when I can feel the manic in me creeping out to say hello but instead of letting it take over me I let myself be aware of it and then breathe.

I have simple tips listed below which I follow when I feel the crazy coming out and not before long I am back to the calm me.
Breathe - breathe in breathe out slow deep breaths for 6 seconds each way (a good tip learnt from yoga)- I found some good tips on how to breathe in the following bloghttp://thehealthylivinglounge.com/2009/11/23/how-to-breathe-better


Take time out – when things get overwhelming and you can feel the manic creeping in, take 10 minutes away from what you are doing. If you are at work, go outside and walk around the block for 10 minutes. The fresh air and the exercise will get you to a calmer state. It gives you time to put into perspective that what you were doing is maybe not that stressful and you can get back to work in a clearer state.

Exercise – I prefer yoga, it keeps me centred and relaxed and gives me time to reflect. Walking on my own is a good time to relax as well.

Meditate – When I have a free night alone or if everyone at home is asleep I try to get in a good ten minutes of meditation. It has been proven to reduce stress levels. Even major companies are requesting their staff to meditate to increase efficiency.

I feel a great sense of accomplishment when my husband, friends or colleagues tell me how calm I am, as it has taken great effort for me to get to this point where I don't get stressed out.


No comments:

Post a Comment