Thursday 23 January 2014

Kids Healthy Lunch Box Ideas

It's almost time for the kids to go back to school (can I hear a big sigh of relief? Or was that just in my head? ;) 

As it's the new year, what better time than now to start introducing healthier alternatives in their lunch? You can still make their lunch fun even when its healthy. 

We all need to think about what we're really putting in their lunch box. Will that sugar loaded cereal bar really help them to concentrate through class and work to their best ability or will they be on a sugar rush and burn out quite quickly during class? I know it's hard to find time for much these days but this is our kids future and it's been reported that the eating habits children grow up with are sometimes what they revert back to when they are older.

I'm sure many of you, like me are working mums/dads and find it easier to throw whatever in the lunch box in the morning and then rush out the door? That's why I find it easier to prepare my sons lunch in the evening either while I'm making dinner or just after. It doesn't really feel like extra work if you do it that way and it's much easier than rushing around in the morning. You can even do a heap of the preparation for the week on the weekend (short post on that here) and just pop it in the lunch box the night before. 

Listed below are some easy lunch box ideas for your kids to try and steer them off the junk while also keeping it fun. In my sons lunch box I load it up with healthy items and add in one little treat so he doesn't feel like he is missing out (we all know kids compare what's in their lunch box!), like a little chocolate or biscuit or something like that.
  • Carrot & celery sticks
  • Any fruit cut up into pieces in a container (kids seem to like their fruit cut up for them)
  • Good quality unprocessed cheese, cut into cubes
  • Organic crackers with cheese slices and butter
  • Little Rollie's - Gluten free or wholemeal bread rolled out until flat with a rolling pin, then add in fillings then roll them up and cut them in to rounds, similar to sushi if you know what I mean:)
  • Raw Chocolate Truffles  - these are great as they are full of protein and double up as a treat. Check first if your school allows nuts
  • A mix of raw nuts, sultanas & seeds in a little container. Make sure they are preservative free.
  • Organic yoghurt's. I give my son the five am organic yoghurt's. I know they have a bit of sugar but he won't eat plain yoghurt. I think they're ok for kids occasionally.
  • A plain boiled egg with a little sea salt 
  • Plain cherry tomatoes
  • Mini zucchini or corn fritters 
  • Egg & Bacon Cupcakes
  • Make a homemade bread or loaf for the week. I often make this Paleo Banana Bread (grain free) or Spelt Banana, Date and Walnut Loaf and cut it into slices and freeze them, then take them out the night before to put in the lunch box. They still taste delicious even after they've been frozen.
I'd love to hear what healthy items you use to fill up your kids lunch box. I would love some more ideas! :)

Bee xx

Photo credits:
http://www.womenshealththailand.com/food/

No comments:

Post a Comment